Translate

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Videogame Review, Hard Drivin’ for the “Sega Genesis 2” (Majesco Version of Console and Brand New Game)



Videogame Review, Hard Drivin’ for the “Sega Genesis 2” (Majesco Version of Console and Brand New Game)

Hard Drivin’ was a difficult obstacle for the Sega team.  The game was a great arcade hit; however, it was too early to release on the Sega Genesis and it was too late to release on the Sega Saturn- but, ironically, Hard Drivin’ would’ve been more of a quality product on the Sega Saturn than otherwise.  Sometimes an arcade game is just never really ready for a home console release.  The Sega Genesis version (in my personal estimation) didn’t cover the original arcade hit well at all: the animation was off, the driving was off, the graphics were off, and the difficulty was off.  We’re not talking about a relic.  We’re talking about a program that was never meant to be.  Of course the Sega Genesis version does have a “so bad, it’s good” sort of vibe.  I was laughing at the visuals and gameplay because none of it made sense.  My modern TV does show Hard Drivin’ in its “glory” if we’re to misrepresent the program and lie about the quality, but I’m not going to fool around and leave readers with a pretending opinion.  Pole Position for the Atari 5200 console has aged a lot better and it was a good Atari 5200 game from the start; in comparison, Hard Drivin’ for the Sega Genesis does suggest Atari 2600-ism (my bad grammar there can be imagined like the game), bugs and glitches and awkward animation put this racing game on the block for no excuse except for laughter and undeniable pleasure.  “This isn’t the original arcade game!”  Various Genesis programs have the incomplete looks and feels of gameplay.  But the Sega Genesis was a console that lasted for many generations in sales and not just one; otherwise, there would’ve been no Sega CD or Sega 32X to speak of, let alone controller designs and ongoing features of entertainment even when the grind was unbearable.  I have a blue controller “made” by Sega and at least the failing game was comfortable under denial and humiliation.  YouTube has videos of the original arcade game and all you have to do is look at one fair video to get an understanding of the action.  My comment was placed for one YouTube video and I wrote, “I would say the original arcade version was great and the Sega Genesis version was bad.”  And it’s true!  While playing the Genesis version, glitches of “cars” popped on the TV screen and I was distracted enough to crash and burn.  You’ll see a building that won’t have a roof until you’re a lot closer to it!  Patches and glaring colors were viewed from my seating position and I was laughing horribly, and my amusement for the poor quality was so great that I threw up in the bathroom.  Please, don’t like this game or I’ll really slap you.

No comments:

Post a Comment