Translate

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Poem- “Writing for Readers”


“Writing for Readers”


Can I “create” my own audience?

No, not really.

I cannot create people.

I can talk to people.

I can write to readers.

I can chat with a girlfriend.

I can debate with a political opponent.

I can have a conversation with strangers and friends.

But, I cannot create people.

I can appeal to people, of course.

I can influence people.

I can hear people.

I can see people.

I can shake hands with gentlemen and hug ladies.

But, I cannot “create” my own audience.

That’s just not possible.

Sure, I know writers and authors want to create their own readers.

But, no.

They can’t.

Readers will be who readers will be.

We can’t really control that.

Yeah, I can tell my readers in my poem and say,


“You will turn into a frog and you will weigh 5 pounds.”


Okay…

Are you a frog yet?

Do you weigh 5 pounds now?

No, probably not.

I don’t think frogs can read my poem.

You are probably a human.

I can’t turn you into another animal.

I cannot “create my own character” and such.

You are who you are.

I may need to respect that.

Besides, readers cannot create their own writers.

A reader can talk to me and say,


“I want my author to be a giant soldier.”


That’s kind of funny!

You’re probably joking.

But, can I suddenly just become a giant soldier?

I don’t think so.

I have a disability.

My body is overweight and non-athletic.

Yeah, I know a reader probably wants me to be a giant soldier.

But, can the reader “create me” and turn me into a giant soldier with magic?

No, of course not.

Any belief like that would just be a superstition.

I cannot turn into an elephant with magic.

I cannot turn into a donkey with magic.

Yeah, sometimes I would like to turn into a unicorn.

But, magic and reality do not exactly mix well together.

And, a business cannot create their own customers.

A business can talk to me and say,


“I will turn you into a music fan and make you listen to music.”


Would that make sense?

No, not really.

Maybe I don’t like the music.

The music is what it is.

But, I am who I am.

Sometimes I like heavy metal music.

Sometimes I like jazz music.

Sometimes I like folk music.

My music preference is usually a habit for privacy of entertainment.

Even if I talk about music in public, I am who I am.

Sometimes I like music.

Sometimes I do not like music.

Maybe I need to read Theology books and observe a quiet room.

God makes people.

God creates us.

Do authors create their readers?

No, of course not.

Authors are not gods.

Authors just write literature.

So, I hope I’m pleasing my readers with my philosophy of life.

Yes, I can talk to you and give you ideas.

But, you are who you are and I am who I am.

That’s all.




https://www.deviantart.com/gameuniverso/art/Writing-for-Readers-963371837

No comments:

Post a Comment