Translate

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Videogame Review, WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge for the Nintendo Entertainment System (w/ Brand New NES Max Controller)

Videogame Review, WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge for the Nintendo Entertainment System (w/ Brand New NES Max Controller)


The NES Max pretty much does all the work for me and I make no effort.  I know, that’s bad!  We’re dealing with an old-fashioned wrestling game that demands patience with repetitive button-pushing action.  From having the NES Max, I just go to a wrestler, hold turbo buttons, and wait until I win.  Climbing out of the steel cage is totally unnecessary because I can just fight opponents and pin them in the ring.  Most of the wrestling themes are very good (especially Undertaker’s!); however, a couple wrestling themes, or entrance theme songs, behave like bugs and errors.  One song in particular sounds like my Nintendo Entertainment System is going out of order.  By today’s standards, this NES wrestling game is practically out of order.  Why do the fighters often switch positions without any animation or movement?  That’s confusing!  Some graphics are decent; some graphics are rough around the edges.  The wrestlers in particular don’t have much distinction from each other.  Tag Team mode is hopeless; I have no idea what the wrestlers are really doing in a tag team match.  (WWF is now WWE or World Wrestling Entertainment due to changes in ownership rights over the years.  I’m putting up the original name of the video game in my review, because, mixing up old labels with new labels in constant motion of educational learning would get confusing for the reader very fast.)  This wrestling game is a button masher; once you put in turbo fire, almost all of the challenge disappears from sight, leaving me with an awkward feeling of underachievement.  Sure, I can use the original NES controller.  That would make it a little more challenging for the novice player but not for everybody else.  Hulk Hogan does something; Bret Hart does something; Undertaker does something; more wrestlers do something, etc.  The wrestlers just do something.  We don’t get a real finishing touch of combat.  Hulk Hogan kicks; Bret Hart kicks; Undertaker kicks- and, that’s all there is to it.  I call this a vanity affair.  I’m so happy that wrestling games from the modern technology we have today are way, way better!  Playing this “old” game makes me appreciate even the “bad” modern games of wrestling.  I know.  You’re going to say, “Hey, you cheated!”  Well, hey!  It’s not my fault!  What do you expect from maximum control?  Just NES Max with no NES Max?  Of course, I don’t really consider this “maximum control” whatsoever.  The turbo fire buttons do function very fast.  But, at the cost of overcompensation for whatever fighter I choose, the other fighters don’t stand a chance against me.  Making matters more interesting for the worst, my opponents get so confident in kicking and punching in the air and missing me on purpose with complete, total numbness of attitude.  You might say the game’s “attitude” is perfectly useless and automated.  What this game is missing is depth and construction.  Instead, I get confusion and mishandling of gameplay.  I know.  You’re going to say, “Dude, it’s an old game!  Forget about it!”  I understand your frustration.  But, don’t you think an “old” game should be good for WWE’s focus on strength and energy?  Why can’t we look at old video games and be PROUD of our past, history, and vintage experience?  WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge was designed for nostalgia alone and just for partial turbo of conflict.  It’s a sweet game!  But, I don’t think a word like “sweet” is what WWE usually looks for.  Can I kiss Undertaker now?  EVERYBODY LAUGH!  Ha, ha, HA HA, ha ha!




https://www.deviantart.com/gameuniverso/art/WWE-Wrestlemania-Steel-Cage-Challenge-NES-Max-890634346

No comments:

Post a Comment