Translate

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Poem- "Stereotype and Dialect”


“Stereotype and Dialect”


When an actor on TV jokes about “cowboys”, he will probably say,


“Howdy! Would you care for a plate full of beans?”


This is not dialect.

This is stereotype.


Let me tell all actors in Hollywood this:


Do not misrepresent my cowboy ancestry.

Any misrepresentation of the kind is racist.

You can’t argue with me; you will lose.


My family is a great deal about cowboy ancestry.

From my general experience of talking to rural Californians, dialect is real and physical.

A country type of guy doesn’t really say “howdy” and such on my mark of living.

Here’s how my family gives a western tune in loose chat:


“Them uppity conservative monsters just beg my pardon for wild absence.

Them crazy liberal types only show my face for missing connection.

Well, to these political hacks, I don’t give a flying rat’s any of it.”


Do you see how real and physical this dated Los Angeles vernacular is?

My family already knows this about our Civil War fathers.

It’s really the kind of “person” we speak to for us at our parties and nutcases.


Of course, when I write my own poetry, I usually stick to plain English text.

But, our friends and family with enough familiar folks can reckon to us neat and nice.


I would say my family’s western tune is 50% nutrition exaggeration and 45% funny dishes.

The “5%” is generally our “we don’t give any” zone, so excuse yourself as friendly.




https://www.deviantart.com/gameuniverso/art/Stereotype-and-Dialect-1011097547

No comments:

Post a Comment