Translate

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Videogame Review, Stampede for the Atari 2600 (w/ Atari 2600 Jr.)




Videogame Review, Stampede for the Atari 2600 (w/ Atari 2600 Jr.)


By law, video game companies must accept some limits.  We have rules from the post office, we have rules from business, and we have rules from electric companies; or, if not rules, just strong recommendations.  My cartridge is small, compact, and interesting for observation into gaming for cattle and ranch hands, or, cowboys and running animals over the green plains.  My TV must get the interference possible with a casual viewpoint, and, my informal gestures leave some degree of fascination over the radar.  Repetitions occur during gameplay.  Then again, I don’t want to look at my TV for too long.  Would you exactly hang a gross painting up in your living room and stare at it for 50 hours?  No, I don’t think so.  So, why do some gamers stare at violent programs for 50 hours or more?  Atari 2600 games usually aren’t violent because they don’t look “real” enough to give us too many suggestions.  (If you’re looking at a realistic, violent shooter with guns for 50 hours in a really short period of time, please, stop reading and go away.  I don’t want to be in a room with that kind of person.)  Stampede is fun to play without swallowing up my TV whole.  Are you eating your TV?  Please, get out of here.  Yeah, I’ve probably hurt your feelings a little bit.  But the truth is that, for Atari 2600 games, less can be better.  You don’t need an old TV to play an old game.  Who knows?  Maybe if the Call of Duty series was on an old TV, I’d enjoy it just as much; or, I’d cancel the invitation.  Sometimes I have to be tough with someone who doesn’t “get it”.  Doesn’t the green field of cattle look exciting or what?  If anything, this blur of reality looks promising on the scale between abstraction and fiction.  No blood, no guts, no funny bones… just a remarkable work of art.  Sure, there were 1st-person shooters on the Sega Saturn, but, back in the 1990’s, I didn’t play each one for 50 hours so soon.  Just 5 hours would be enough; maybe 10 hours.  We must have limits for ourselves to a proper extent.  Intelligence is a factor, fun is a factor, learning is a factor; but, of course, art often involves lack of learning and excuse about education.  Most Atari 2600 games are short messages- maybe an old game will be about “racing”, maybe an old game will be about “space”, maybe an old game will be about “war”, and so on; but you don’t play an Atari 2600 game for what seems like forever.  Have reviewers forgotten that TV can make you stupid?  TV itself has a disorder of channels if you’re not being careful on relevant information.  Often I’ll just listen to music I’ve heard before, or, I’ll rent a familiar movie.  Just because a game is new doesn’t mean it will just stick.  We may get shocked easily.  Who stares at a gun for 50 hours in a video game?  That habit suggests a criminal mind.  This is especially true if the game is very real with a terrible sight.  My Atari 2600 game here lets me be at peace with imagination without so much awareness for “chemistry”.  Don’t play games for too long!  Have a drink.  Get a cat.  Walk the dog.  Feel the air.  Sweet dreams.  Home sweet home.  How could you just accept the pain in every sense of the word?  Stampede just lets me imagine at rest with no terrible sight.  It’s more like a child’s toy and not a corrupt TV program.  Even with a little radio frequency interference I’m up for a nice joke in sport.




https://www.deviantart.com/gameuniverso/art/Review-of-Stampede-Atari-2600-Jr-863474198

No comments:

Post a Comment