Translate

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Song Review, "Magic Minstrel Show" by Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot, “Magic Minstrel Show”  (a poem turned into an unreleased song, 1983)

“Maybe I try too hard sometimes, it’s a magic life I live.
Maybe I fly too high sometimes, maybe I’ve too much to give.
But for now my darling to the highway I must go.
Tonight I’ll paint life’s picture in my magic minstrel show.

Maybe someday I can relate to all the things that we hold dear.
You know I can hardly wait, come and whisper in my ear.
And so my darling to myself I shall be true.
Painting life’s pictures as all magic minstrels do.

Will you go for one last stand- yes I will, yes I will.
Will you give me one last hand- yes I will, yes I will.
Will you keep on going strong- yes I will, yes I will.
Going strong the whole night long- yes I will, yes I will.
Now and forever to ourselves we shall be true.
Painting life’s pictures as all magic minstrels do.

Maybe someday I can make you see, when I’ve left no stone unturned.
Any day I may be set free when my lesson has been learned.
And so my darling to the highway I must go.
Tonight I’ll paint life’s pictures in my magic minstrel show.
Even though I’m crying to myself I shall be true.
Painting life’s pictures as all magic minstrels do.”



Poetry nowadays is rather picturesque in terms of fashion and visual appeal and Lightfoot’s song here, while the YouTube video is horribly broken, determines a song creator’s life to be something magic, something invisible to see on which strength and tears ought to break down walls against the sad audience being spoken to.  It’s a feeling not quite like logic.  Eternal magic goes along with the enchanting power of love even if it means lessons and tests have to be geared up on literary purposes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment