Translate

Friday, March 25, 2022

Videogame Review, Donkey Kong for the Intellivision (w/ Brand New U.K. Cartridge)

Videogame Review, Donkey Kong for the Intellivision (w/ Brand New U.K. Cartridge)


I don’t think this version of Donkey Kong is a good game.  But, I think this version of Donkey Kong is a good calculator.  To even have this U.K. game cartridge work on my American video game console is nothing short of a miracle.  From a historical perspective, Donkey Kong for the Intellivision acts like a powerful expansion of moment-to-moment calculation upon the numbers, shapes, and questionable colors.  You get moves and methods for this Intellivision game that we do not find on any other version of Donkey KongDonkey Kong is a historical piece; and, we get so many versions of the “same” game.  Running with Mario by using the Intellivision controller helps me come across the frequent delays of movement- by using the Intellivision controller, a vintage, retro video game controller with a “pumping” keypad and light disc and thick fire buttons, I can have Mario dash across the metal bars up into the imaginary sky that I never see, but that I wonder about.  To make Mario keep running, I just push the disc on my Intellivision controller again and again.  It’s like a pipe that I must continue touches for.  Jumping with Mario is technical; however, it’s not artistic.  Reaching for Mario’s hammer doesn’t always work.  Often, as is the case, I make Mario jump and he can miss the hammer.  This does make the “game” more challenging at the cost of error and really quick mistakes.  At least jumping over the flaming ghosts is easy enough.  In fact, jumping over the flaming ghosts was much, much more difficult in the original arcade machine for Donkey Kong and the Intellivision version of Donkey Kong is more ergonomic and comfortable in many ways, although the challenge only gets interesting on #3 or #4.  How do you select a difficulty?  Oh, let me tell you.  You pick up the Intellivision controller, insert the game, turn on the video game console, choose 1-player mode or 2-player mode, and choose the level of difficulty.  The barrels still look green, but there’s a hint of silver along the green barrels and this U.K. saturation makes the barrels look more sweet and aggressive, especially when I play Donkey Kong with memories of the Intellivision game box that includes a picture of the mean fantasy.  Up to 5 flaming ghosts can appear in the 2nd course, and, from playing the 2nd course, again and again, with random counters of struggle, the enemies prove interesting to dodge and erratic against common sense.  Keep in mind that children have small brains and adults have big brains.  So, when playing video games with your family, children and parents can do better or worse depending on the circumstances.  For video games, we get skill, as well as genius.  This reality leaves room for childhood problems and adulthood drama.  Everything for Donkey Kong on the Intellivision console gives me the impression of a wide, expanded calculator, with ever-changing shapes of conflict and struggle.  Of course, a great deal of the “struggle” has to do with the Intellivision controller, not just the Intellivision game.  I was getting down and lame with the American game cartridge for Donkey Kong.  Now I’m getting pretty excited with the U.K. game cartridge.  The TV video is better on my small, brand new, “old” TV.  Playing Donkey Kong on a BIG HD TV with using RF connection becomes an inferior fraction of the thrill and pleasure.  I actually “enjoy” playing Donkey Kong on a small TV.  This is not surprising.  Nintendo Switch games also have video issues with BIG TV sets.  Even if the BIG TV sets are “modern” the Nintendo Switch games can still have video issues.  I’m very happy that my Donkey Kong game works for the Intellivision!  The arcade interpretation can be stimulating to my immediate feelings of purpose and anxiety.  For this review, I still can’t give Donkey Kong for the Intellivision “credit” of any kind, but I do see the technical achievements.  Let my review be extra credit for negligible features.




https://www.deviantart.com/gameuniverso/art/Review-of-Donkey-Kong-U-K-Intellivision-Game-910955775

No comments:

Post a Comment