Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Videogame Review, Play Action Football for the Nintendo Gameboy (w/ Pink Gameboy Advance)



Videogame Review, Play Action Football for the Nintendo Gameboy (w/ Pink Gameboy Advance)


This isn’t for the Nintendo Entertainment System.  It’s a Gameboy cartridge which packs a light punch at the well-known NES “classic” although I’m sure you wouldn’t recognize the game from trying out the Gameboy for this package.  Fields in the game look very, very different.  My guy can run the full quarters even if he’s a sitting duck on some catches- that’s because much of the action is really hidden in the color, and, from within the color, I can’t tell what’s going on with the football.  More diagonal angles would’ve helped!  Getting near the ball for catching it revolves on so much luck that I can’t quite recognize the challenge to be had in the field which, not only looks bland by Nintendo standards, but totally looks bland by Gameboy standards.  Wasn’t Lock ’N’ Chase on the Nintendo Gameboy a lot more interesting in look and appeal from the graphical standpoint or am I hallucinating?  Touchdowns are possible; however, I don’t think I’d wish to venture a whole lot with the advanced computer forms since my catches are mysterious from the Gameboy’s coatings of graphical color.  A football will reach my guy; he may have black clothes, he may have white clothes; and, once my football enters the color, action in the football game for such catching is completely blanketed in a void I can’t make heads or tails of unless I’m returning to the beginning of another game for deciding a catch.  Speaking of the coin: I can’t tell what on Earth it’s supposed to be!  It’s like a disc with team emblems and the teams insignias are truly huge logos.  Sounds in the ball’s toss between players indicate the closeness and approach of the football- it’s to help accommodate for the 2D gameplay and, now that I think of it, I don’t think ALL 2D games have aged very well.  Just look at Play Action Football for the Nintendo Gameboy!  Reading the instruction manual is mandatory; and, since children can’t read greatly, this Gameboy game has barriers to it in these instructions, “If you are standing in the end zone and wish to call a touchback (????)… you can press the B button to call for a touchback (I STILL DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS IS!!!) and you will automatically start from your 20 yard line.”  That one instruction makes me hungry and it sounds like I’m given the option to run away or something.  “Touchback” is about as good of a word as “feedback” and since Nintendo wanted to go with “touchback”, I’ll give them my “feedback”.  Besides, the referee shouts “TOUCHDOWN!” often when I even just pass a football to another player and achieve 10 yards or more in a play, and that’s messed up.




No comments:

Post a Comment