Translate

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Cartoon Review, Betty Boop- “The Old Man of the Mountain” (Banned, Explicit)




Cartoon Review, Betty Boop- “The Old Man of the Mountain” (Banned, Explicit)

The cartoon is for mature audiences only, but it isn’t explicit.  Maybe through some kind of play on fashion for the Great Depression era it’d be considered explicit.  At least, in today’s standards, it shouldn’t be explicit.  In my mind explicitness would be something a lot more gruesome and physical like Metal Slug 3 or “The Nightmare Before Christmas”.  “The Old Man on the Mountain” is as suggestive as “Affair on 8th Avenue” by Gordon Lightfoot and is as applicable for cable viewing as “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” that Betty Boop herself starred in.  A cartoon of this nature has been accused for being sexually explicit; however, from me examining the film, looking over its peaceful flow of abstraction and in comprehension of the jazz industry, I believe the movie-goers who wanted this cartoon banned were arrogant and blinded by hate for anything outside of nature, anything besides nature, or anything beyond nature.  Everything in the cartoon is about a monster who lives in the mountains who is a cannibal and I don’t see any quotes or details in the film which explicitly refer to sex.  Plus, he never eats her and the local cattle bump their heads against him while his arms are tied behind his back.  Betty Boop is just an interesting character: characters follow her, they like her beautiful appearance, her personality is attractive, and she’s not so interested about explicit content.  Instead, she’s dynamic.  Dynamics in the cartoon would’ve really bothered people who were struggling with their own faith.  Even the jazz is natural: no slang, no vulgarity, no violence.  Characters in the film are treated more like rag dolls than corpses.  There’s no blood, there’s no grime, there’s no pulsating kidneys.  So, why has this cartoon been called explicit?  I’m intending to educate others with my perspective because I know people today are going to find this cartoon smooth rather than coarse.  Here’s a test for you- if Betty Boop here is so explicit, compare her to George Carlin and “Trading Places”.  Now do you see where I’m coming from?  Betty is peaceful, George is not.   “Trading Places” has curse words and derogatory speeches, “The Old Man of the Mountain” does not.  Then again I’m probably rather biased with the fashion I’m going for in expressing concern on this funny animation.  Hypocrisy reigned supreme during the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s.  Elvis Presley was called the Devil, chocolate chip pancakes were a taboo to plenty, and lingerie was thought of as demonic from moments on end.  At least I know my grandparents would’ve been more humorous on their expression of dislike.  One time my grandpa looked at my long hair I had in my teens and said, “I’ve got a pair of scissors for that.”  Younger people of the 30’s could’ve had a lot of this humor also.  So, what can be learned here?  Artists can be humorous in front of others but they should probably expect banners to come over and be just as humorous.  Humor can be a danger, watch out.



https://youtu.be/tK6Ty-uLIwM

No comments:

Post a Comment