Translate

Monday, August 13, 2018

Videogame Review, Berserk for the Atari 5200 Super System




Videogame Review, Berserk for the Atari 5200 Super System

I write with my right hand and tilt the joystick with my left hand, although when I try to write with my left hand there’s funnier scratches on the paper and when I try to tilt the joystick with my right hand I seem to be drowning in my directions.  Thus, the better hand for the 5200 joystick may be the one you don’t use to write things down on paper, like writing down things for your grocery bill or signing your name, as pointless as grocery lists and signatures are.  So there’s a lot on my plate in Berserk.  Vision and power seem to be divided in faulty pursuit on Atari’s part when it comes to Berserk’s ugliness, eternal proof, and dumb luck.  Atari 5200 consoles are bigger monsters than Xbox consoles and generally have more power due to the Atari 2600 library, in addition to the Atari 5200 library, and Atari 2600 and 5200 controllers, even if CDs have to be played on a real CD player since the Xbox malfunctions on stereo and plays some DVDs horribly.  Okay, I’m pretty much blabbing here.  Can you handle my secrets while I analyze the weaknesses of power towards the bitter end or at least become stable in front of your internet thingy?  Boy I hope I’ve tickled you a lot on THAT!  But what the Atari 5200 provides at best is complicated graphics like those seen in Blueprint, Countermeasure, Moon Patrol, and so on.  Those 3 games I mentioned there for the Atari 5200 will tempt Mario fans who are into 8-bit classics.  (Ironically, the Mario Bros. for the Atari 5200 will tempt Mario fans who are into fun rather than discipline.  That’s not okay for hardcore players though.)  Berserk definitely would’ve presented great challenges if it weren’t for the visionary art involved.  Your gunner looks worse than he did on the Atari 2600 version and robots are about as defined like a cat who isn’t swinging; my gameplay gets rather tedious from the uncreative physics Berserk gives in visual format, leaving me with tugs at the joystick before I realize what I’m looking at and I never get to the extreme prejudice the game’s intending me to have.  Look, sometimes I talk about objects as if they’re talking to me.  That’s a nerd’s appreciation, lifestyle, and spoken word on my end.  Where I go as far as victory is concerned depends on luck instead of reason due to the general gaming infrastructure.  There’s lots to game at, but little to see.  It’s like I’m in as much darkness as the light which touches a terrible, smiling-face orb named Evil Otto.  Usually I’m chased down like a rabbit under Atari’s fault for presentation since robots work their way through chaotic slumber to get at me, but, of course, I CAN’T SEE ANYTHING.  By that I mean see with meaning, with significance.  There’s too many implications given and not enough direct action.  Graphics and controls go hand in hand: you have to see to believe, believe to control, and control to game (although I probably mean “control” in the sense of what I’m allowed to change as opposed to permanent obstacles and barriers).  So basically the game doesn’t show what it’s made of.  This is a common problem- Superman 64 and certain Gameboy games don’t show what they’re made of, the “color” on Gameboy Color can be a joke, and some PS2 games have downloads that are more impressive than their gameplay.  Atari 5200 Berserk might be interesting on a technical level but it seems to lack the overall power and vision Atari should be exhibiting.  Frogger is more on my list of good games; I’ve played that and Berserk on my Atari 5200 for about 7 years.  Trust me when I tell you all of this.  Frogger has lots of colors which help me with my accuracy and I’ve accrued over 66,000 points on it because colors lead on to colors, further enhancing gameplay.  In Berserk I can’t even see where my lasers are going!  I guess you can say Berserk doesn’t serve enough light and colors on the palate.  This is evidenced in comparison to Pac-Man, Ms.Pac-Man, Q*bert, Qix, Blueprint, Countermeasure, Moon Patrol, and so many other wonderful 5200 games.  Berserk relies excessively on lines and orbs which don’t come to fruition in power we can see let alone have.  It’s impossible power.  



https://youtu.be/g8m4nBy7ayI

No comments:

Post a Comment