Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Poem- "Southwest United States"

“Southwest United States”

What could a tree hear between its leaves?
A skull looks back where his eyes disappeared.
My cactus kneels across the yard, like its flowery razor.
The horse walks over a shadow by one door into blue skin.
Queen plays out of a forgotten Chevrolet.
Everybody is parked near the beaming route: sunshine, painted white lines.
Wine bottles inside show labels with funny jokers.
I’m wearing a veteran ring.  That’s wrong.
Who cares?
Keeping Social Security matters.
Mesquite turkey gets sharp on my tongue.
Some pizza delivery thinks 7 is a lucky number.
Right, and I’m Santa relaxing in Hawaii!
Beer steins are okay for the moment.
Maggie poops on the rug.
Wendy reminds me of Wendy’s, so what’s this L.A. area code on my phone?
Just add coins to the pickle jar; I’ll keep your money safe.
Lava lamps?  Hey, I’ve been burning up at Spencer’s.
Cashiers at 7-Eleven may be low territory.
“Playa del Sol”… yeah, I get it.
Republicans are so patient on Earth.
Usually I have to buy Coca-Cola to remember the name.
Guys in my neighborhood give false weather reports.
Weather Channel is nice in Big Bear.
Easy listening rolls off the tube, or, I need to comb.
Vintage items come from dead people.
Dad watches zombies, mom watches nothing.
A whole bunch of junk is on TV.
My parents go camping on weekends sometimes.
You see, the line at In-N-Out is an understatement.
Santa Anita Park is around the bend.
Me?  I’m only here for liquor, you don’t know me.



https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/southwest-united-states/

No comments:

Post a Comment