Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Videogame Review, Mortal Kombat 3 for the Game Boy Player (GB, Nintendo Gamecube)



Videogame Review, Mortal Kombat 3 for the Game Boy Player (GB, Nintendo Gamecube)


Now this port of Mortal Kombat 3 has things I’ve never seen before on the Game Boy Player.  My Nintendo Gamecube seems to like presenting the fighters in more than a trio of colors, something I can remark on, since I’ve been getting Pokemon cards for the same purpose: colors, colors, colors, among other things, and more colors.  Different scenes in the fighting game include lots of a green color, the glowing kind fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can appeal to even if the fighting system is basically… ruined, to put it nicely.  Often I’ll find myself hitting the big A button on my Gamecube controller to no effect despite the fact I’ve been playing Tetris DX very nicely on my Nintendo Gamecube without problems of this sort.  Maybe the programmers for Midway were so enchanted by the original Gameboy portable’s shadowy visuals that every one of them forgot to make sense of the action as it’s apparently simple but chunky in today’s marketplace for Gameboy games.  But hey!  I’ve paid only a few bucks for this from eBay.  I feel sad for the poor sucker who dished out $20 plus.  Remember what the Video Game Critic had said about Street Fighter the Movie (game) for the Sega Saturn console?  Much of what he said is questionable on my mind although I’m sure some of his descriptions fit with Mortal Kombat 3 for the Gameboy.  Those “positive” ratings we see for the Gameboy game on eBay probably come from people who’ve played the arcade machine and remarked on the Gameboy game as though it’s the original piece.  None of the game comes from the original, folks.  What we have here is a stubborn program that wants to shake things wildly through poor controls, blurry visuals, and questionable difficulty.  Each scene in the fighting game shows quite a lot of art for the money; however, we’re supposed to play the game, not merely do stuff.  I like the golden tab on the character selection screen which brightens into a gold dragon for a moment’s relapse before I switch things into high gear with more than several fighters.  Character looks aren’t that reasonable quite yet.  Obviously the Gameboy can’t handle all of this stuff from Mortal Kombat 3 in the arcade until visuals perfect the masses along definitions.  Usually I’m mashing buttons, trying to get anything to work, but to no avail.  Those pre-battle scenes which illustrate characters in glowing green add nostalgia to the picture although I fear everything is dysfunctional in the gameplay itself; and, without the Gameboy’s shadowy visuals on my TV screen I’m left with more to be less desired on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment