Translate

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Videogame Review, Mr. Do!’s Castle for the Atari 5200 Console (Arcade Port)



Videogame Review, Mr. Do!’s Castle for the Atari 5200 Console (Arcade Port)

You’ll see gamers post videos on Mr. Do!’s Castle.  They praise it for less-than-possible controls because it’s not understood well by any of them that they’re not actually playing the game; instead, they are just doing stuff in a game of this nature.  I’ve never played a game in my life that had such bad controls with a hammer until now since Mr. Do!’s Castle is more about insanity than perfection and, boy, it does get pretty ugly out there- red, blue, and green unicorns chasing me around a castle that resembles a lot of the same good visuals to be expected from Castlevania for the Nintendo Entertainment System.  Do you like that game’s frustrating controls?  Well, here’s a taker: as long as you know about the ladders and how to switch your goofy little clown between ladders there’s a mighty chance for an even bigger storm of conflict among the unicorns during a hammer’s punch into more-than-several cherry blocks.  In fact, it can get fun when I pull the strings from some blocks with skull images only to see the bridge totally collapse on a unicorn.  “Take that My Little Pony!”  Still there’s lots to consider on the joystick controls due to the fact it doesn’t really qualify for a game of this magnitude (if I can call it powerful) plus terror awaits at every corner in Mr. Do!’s castle.  My enemies cling too much on those ladders when I’m trying to whack each horn-wielding creature with a hammer that’s extremely subtle and gives off mystified collision detection.  “Ow!  A unicorn bit me in the butt!”  Graphics won’t disappoint at least!  Each level of Mr. Do!’s castle is riddled with colorful bricks which add plenty of tension for well-defined ladders and bridges as far as Mr. Do! (exclamation mark) goes through 8-bit-like worlds, hat clinging and fluttering over his upper back while he approaches green unicorns in dismissal of a bridge landing over its head.  Ha ha!  Atari 5200 controllers are not digital except for the dial-pad and start/pause/reset feature.  Otherwise, you’ll have to contend with the analog joystick.  It’s a good joystick.  The problem is that Mr. Do!’s Castle is one of those games that NO analog controller can handle.  Quite often I’ll find myself missing ladders just because I was a couple of degrees off of the 360-degree joystick and it can get very unfair.  On a modern portable by Nintendo I’ll find the direction pad to be stiff; on the Atari 5200 I’ll find the joystick to be loose.  Everything about this poorly controlled beauty is an illustration of why I don’t like mixed bags- too unpredictable, too weird, and too insane.  Chaos must work in enough functioning bits of programming to lay the path down in sheer numbers with victory that I can’t find in this puzzling arcade game of course.  Wait.  You like The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System and want to play a similar game with impossible controls?  Then by all means.



https://youtu.be/TIuZ5giHVzY


No comments:

Post a Comment